Managing a home based business is becoming more and more popular with the increase in number of mom entrepreneurs. However, working from home is not as easy as it seems. Some moms find it hard to manage their time and run a business. Knowing that at the end of day you spent your day productively is something that mom entrepreneurs ask themselves all the time. Are you a work at home mom? How do you manage your time?
As the saying goes “Time is Money”. Therefore, we should value our time to make sure that we will not have any regrets later on. We need to budget our time and we need to spend it wisely.
1. Start the day with a plan. Usually moms get up before other family members to plan their day. Spend some minutes to come up with activities for the day then list them down on a piece of paper in priority of what needs to get done first. I usually try to think about things the night before, so when I start my day I know what needs to be done.
2. Organize your workplace. Mom entrepreneurs do have their own workplaces and these should be kept organized. Make sure that your office is not a mess because if it is, you will not be able to concentrate on your work. Instead of working, you would be distracted by the dirt scattered around, and when you need to find that specific paper it’s hard to find. I personally have an issue with this one. My desk has stuff all over it and it’s very frustrating to me. I do try every weekend to clean it up, so I can start my week off organized, but by the middle of the week there is just stuff everywhere.
3. Don’t spend much time on reading emails or checking your Facebook account. These are among the distractions that must be avoided. If you are working, make sure not to open your email or Facebook account as these will just eat much of your time. Rather, concentrate on your work and perhaps, if you are finished early, you can then check your email. Again another issue I have. I actually know moms that do not open email or Facebook, and actually have a scheduled time in their day that they get back to their emails. Try it and see if this works for you.
4. Schedule everything that needs to be done in your day. Since you are a work at home mom, there are other things like preparing dinner, laundry, homework time and so on. Make sure to set a schedule for these tasks. You can do them before starting your work, or you can do them on your break.
5. Stay positive. As a mom entrepreneurs there are days that just don’t work out. You get a phone call from school or a call from a frantic client.
Don’t let it derail you from what you need to get done. Always look at things positively and your day will end up with great results.
Along with these 5 tips, your self-discipline also plays a huge role. If you are not disciplined or motivated you will fail.